(The character itself is an icon and there was no other better to play the role than Larry Hagman. Image source: Wikipedia)
Actor Larry Hagman, who created one of television’s iconic villains with the treacherous J.R. Ewing of “Dallas,” died Friday, according to a family statement. He was 81. Hagman died at a Dallas hospital of complications from cancer, said the statement posted on Hagman’s official web site early Saturday.
“Larry was back in his beloved Dallas, re-enacting the iconic role he loved most,” it said. “Larry’s family and close friends had joined him in Dallas for the Thanksgiving holiday.
When he passed, he was surrounded by loved ones. It was a peaceful passing, just as he had wished for. The family requests privacy at this time.”
“Dallas” was an iconic TV show back in 1980s and the main role in the series was the ruthless J R Ewing played by Larry Hagman. But back then Dallas was heavy stuff for us kids although my parents watch them often. For us, we prefer the funnier side of Larry in the sitcom “I Dream Of Jeannie” which was more entertaining and funny.
- “Dallas,” “I Dream of Jeannie” actor Larry Hagman dies at 81 (wwltv.com)
- ‘Dallas’ star Larry Hagman dies in Texas (troyrecord.com)
- Iconic “Dallas” Star Larry Hagman Dead At 81 (therussparrmorningshow.com)
- Report: Larry Hagman, the man behind iconic supervillain JR Ewing, dies (cnn.com)
- Celebrities pay tribute to Larry Hagman (contactmusic.com)